This report contains data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention 2013/2014 Influenza season for week 49 for the period ending December 7, 2013. In this reporting period flu cases are continuing to increase but remain behind last year at this time.
According to the CDC Flu View site:
During week 49 (December 1-7, 2013), shows continued increase of influenza activity in the United States.
- Viral Surveillance: Of 6,219 specimens tested and reported by U.S. World Health Organization (WHO) and National Respiratory and Enteric Virus Surveillance System (NREVSS) collaborating laboratories during week 49, 830 (13.3%) were positive for influenza.
- Pneumonia and Influenza Mortality: The proportion of deaths attributed to pneumonia and influenza (P&I) was below the epidemic threshold.
- Influenza-Associated Pediatric Deaths: No influenza-associated pediatric deaths were reported.
- Influenza-associated Hospitalizations: A cumulative rate for the season of 2.0 laboratory-confirmed influenza-associated hospitalizations per 100,000 population was reported.
- Outpatient Illness Surveillance: The proportion of outpatient visits for influenza-like illness (ILI) was 2.1%, above the national baseline of 2.0%. Three regions reported ILI above region-specific baseline levels. Four states experienced high ILI activity, five states and New York City experienced low ILI activity, 41 states experienced minimal ILI activity and the District of Columbia had insufficient data.
- Geographic Spread of Influenza: The geographic spread of influenza in 14 states was reported as regional; 18 states reported local influenza activity; the District of Columbia, Guam, Puerto Rico, and 16 states reported sporadic influenza activity; the U.S. Virgin Islands and two states reported no influenza activity.
Below are CDC FluView maps that compare the last two reporting weeks and 2012/2013 week 49 to this year at week 49. They indicate a modest increase in ILI activity from the week 48 to week 49, 2013. There is a noticeable difference in ILI activity between week 49 this year versus week 49 2012.
2013/2014 CDC Flu Interactive Map for week 49 2013
2013/2014 CDC Flu Interactive Map for week 48 2013
Google Flu Trends
Google Flu Trends remains a trusted source for ILI activity and comparison data.